Re: A DICEY QUESTION

cecropia64

the sad thing about all of this is that people need or seem to need to make judgements about others. why can't we all just help each other instead of insulting and degrading each other. i know this is getting off topic but i had to get in one last comment. go get 'em rose. don't let anyone tell you what is right or wrong to do. do what you gotta do lady.

On 7/7/2012 8:08 AM, George B wrote:
rite on rose!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...
jdh.com] On Behalf Of Rose Combs
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 18:38
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: A DICEY QUESTION

I appreciate your put-down so very much! I may be a loser to you, and
in
some areas of my life but, I think I have a reasonable screen-reader.

I have been using computers since 1981, and for several of those years
worked and was productive using an Optacon to do all my computer work,
feeling that speech would slow me down. After I had deadlines to meet
and a
dead Optacon I discovered that the assumption that speech would slow me
down
was incorrect and in the nearly 30 years of computing I have used
several
screen-readers, some only to test, some for longer periods of time.

I also have an iPhone which had a learning curve but which I like, even
though I am not anywhere near a fast typist on it.

If you and others consider me a loser, then I guess you will just have
to do
that.

I have said all I need to say on the subject, so please do not make any
other comments for the sake of the list. I started to reply privately
and
decided others needed to see if they all consider me a loser because I
don't
like the voice NVDA used and due to family illness, a full-time job and
responsibilities dealing with things my husband usually had taken care
of if
I am a loser because I chose not to spend time on this at the time I
tried
to learn it. I have been stressed over the past couple of years but I
have
continued to work full time and manage, learning when I can, passing up
on
some things because I know I don't have enough hours in a day to
complete
them.

I am not planning on buying a MAC soon either, despite the fact that I
hear
a lot about how well it does many things, mostly because much as I'd
love to
do it, I can't buy every technology out there--my ideal job would
probably
be testing everything accessible out there but, that is not what is
paying
our bills.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@Q.com