From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com
[mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:36 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: RE: Learning Jaws and the Keyboard

I've stayed out of this, but couldn't resist any longer.
Blind people have some very distinct advantages. Among many, two are:
1. No temptation to look at your feet when ballroom dancing; and 2. No
temptation to look at the keyboard while typing.
I actually became a much faster typist after I lost my sight. I learned
(sort of) in high school. The course was offered in the "business"
class, which was a euphemism for teaching secretaries. It was a great
excuse to meet girls. I didn't learn much beyond the home row.
In those days, the challenge was to remember to change the ribbon
promptly. I still remember, in horror, the couple of times that I typed
a college essay only to be told by my reader that the ribbon had run out
and that all I had were white pages with indentations. OUCH!
I cannot imagine how easy it would be to learn typing with JAWS running,
or even with a Braille display. Just memorize the layout and, as Dave
said, practice, practice, practice.