fixing captcha for justordinary folks

Deb and the girls

I am totally blind, have a ten-year old del computer, use jaws 13, windows xp, outlook express, and internet explorer. I want to know how an ordinary person, with medium computer skills, can overcome the captcha in almost every website I go to.
When I buy something, when I want to register for something, when I want to examine something, captcha hounds me everywhere.
In 90 percent of the cases, the audio captcha is not able to be understood at all.

I am really sick and tired of taking several steps extra to maybe solve the problem with no guarantees. It takes the fun out of using the computer.
Any words of wisdom for a non-programmer out here?