Re: What Happened To Popular CAPTCHA Solving Tools?

Kane Brolin

My intention here is not to make this a politically divisive issue on
a tech list ... But maybe the demise of Webvisum and Solona will
revive interest in The CAPTCHA Project from Towson University. This
is highlighted in a back issue of "The Braille Monitor," flagship
publication of the National Federation of the Blind here in the USA:
http://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm09/bm0901/bm090108.htm
The thought process here is that CAPTCHA can be used to make a Website
both secure and accessible if the Web designers reframe how they think
of this process. Instead of our trying to interpret a garbled visual
image or a distorted series of audible, random alphanumeric
characters, why not permit the user to prove his/her humanity by
identifying a simple sound? You could hear the sound of a cow, of
running water, of a bell or an actor snapping his fingers, and could
simply respond by identifying three or four of these simple signs with
the words representing them. Obviously, for sighted users, a picture
of the same thing could be presented and the sighted user simply could
type what is seen. This would require active intelligence, not just a
mathematical algorithm.

The standard audio CAPTCHA in use today, though better for some blind
people, is still horribly frustrating to those who are deaf-blind or
hard of hearing. So I for one hope that The CAPTCHA Project is alive
and can gain some traction as a result of Webvisum's and Solona's
failure to stay viable.

-Kane