Re: FS podcast

Karen Hughes <khughes8@...>

this is exactly why I and many others have turned to n v d a out of sheer frustration. jaws performance has failed us big time just asking for more money as icing on the cake for themselves. we may be blind but we are not stupid. Karen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cristobal" <crismunoz54@gmail.com>
To: "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: FS podcast

You know, this post got me thinking about all the past "major" releases from
JFW that have eaten away at all my SMA's. Especially in the past few years.
While I don't expect every single update/new feature/improvement to benefit
me and my computing needs directly, I must say I can't say that many of
these new features that have been touted as the next great thing and thus
worth of full release have been all that and a bag of chips. Convenient OCR,
Tandem sessions, Research It to name a few haven't really given me the bang
for my Jaws Pro buck that each new major release ($100.00 to $130.00) costs.
I have yet to use Convenient OCr once. Nor have I ever used Jaws Tandem. I
do use Research it, but that's more of a function of it being there so I'll
end up using it, but can and do use Google or some other search engine when
Research It may be broken or just doesn't want to cooperate.

I'm not questioning the technical knowledge and resources required to
incorporate these particular features into Jaws. Nor the fact that in many
instances Jaws users do make heavy use of these same program aspects, but
considering that I've probably dropped close to $600.00 for SMA's in these
last few years, I must say, when sitting and thinking about what I've gotten
for it really doesn't leave me all that fulfilled. I've been much happier
when Jaws has been updated to finally work and work well with firefox for
example or has become more stable when working with programs like Adobe and
the various Microsoft programs. I find it discouraging that fixes for
programs that may have been broken in previous releases are included in
upgrades that require an SMA as opposed to offering a separate fix for older
Jaws uers who don't have the means to get the SMA or are reluctant to
upgrade to a new Jaws because it may not work as well with the same programs
(yes, I'm talking smack about you JFW 12).

I have no "insider knowledge" about what the new JFW 14 will include, but it
would be logical to believe that it will be Windows 8 centric as Microsoft's
OS will be released around the same time. That's all fine and dandy, but for
the fact that I just upgraded to Windows 7 not four months ago and would
sure like to see Jaws have better interaction with certain aspects of
Windows 7 not to mention a lot of the Office programs, I'm not all that
jazzed about the thought of having to shell out another $260.00 just for a
new SMA for fixes and improvements to already existing programs and their
well documented JFW issues.

Not really a Jaws rant since I am over all satisfied with the product, but
more a frustration with the SMA scheme and what are announced as "major"
releases when they really feel more like bells and whistles rather than
substantive improvements to existing application issues and spotty access to
other programs (Quickbooks as an example).