moderated Re: Excel titles, what am I missing?

Marty Hutchings

Hay Guys,  I get JAWS to read row and cell titles by placing my cursor in the intersecting cell of the row and column and pressing Insert Alt Control R for row titles and Insert Alt Control C for column titles.  HTH.

Marty Hutchings USA

On 10/29/2022 6:53 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
Kind of embarrassing, I actually turned that on thinking that that was needed to make row and column titles work. So you might say I shot myself in the foot with that one.

Gene...

On 10/29/2022 7:39 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Yes, that JAWS override setting needs to be off. Sorry I missed that in your first post. Glad you bent it to your will.

Alan Lemly
On Oct 29, 2022, at 6:14 PM, Gene Warner <genewarner3@...> wrote:

I found it! What was needed was to turn "Define Name Column and Row Titles Override" off.

Thanks for your attempt to help, it was appreciated.

Gene...

On 10/29/2022 6:52 PM, Gene Warner wrote:
Row titles are in cells A2 to A16. I highlighted the entire block of cells when I defined the name and the name I typed in was rowtitles just as you said.
I just loaded another spreadsheet that I had done this to and was working before and it isn't working on that spreadsheet either, so I must have accidentally changed a JAWS setting or installing JAWS 2023 changed it. I am not running 2023 because I noticed some problems with it that was a deal killer for me. It is still installed, I just resetup 2022 to be the version that gets loaded when Windows starts.
Thanks!
Gene...
On 10/29/2022 6:38 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Hi Gene,

Well, since you didn't provide a lot of info regarding where the values you want to be row titles are located, it's a bit difficult to diagnose the issue.

Row titles must be values located in a column such as the first 4 rows of column A. You don't need to highlight all 4 of those cells but instead place the cursor focus in the first cell which you wish to be a row title such as A1, press shift + F10 to open the context menu, then select Define name and enter RowTitles followed by the enter key to complete the name definition.  When I just did this in Excel 2019 with Fusion 2020, the values in column A were all announced as I arrowed up and down through cells in column B.

Alan Lemly