moderated Re: password managers

Marty Hutchings

So basically, KeePass is the same thing as the Excel database that I already had set up for my passwords, but more incripted?

On 9/23/2022 4:36 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Hi Marty,

What I would do in your described scenario is to go to the website, open KeePass with the custom shortcut I've created, look up the appropriate entry in my KeePass database, and then do a ctrl + b to copy the username followed by a ctrl + c to copy the password which I would pasted in the appropriate places on the website. I'm not a fan of automatic entry of anything so I much prefer to do the copying and pasting steps manually.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2022 2:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: password managers

I have downloaded and installed KeePass. I set up a new database and choose a password. Now, what happens when I go to one of my websites that I have an account on? Do I put in the user name and the new pass word that I set up with KeePass? How does the website know that there is a new password? I didn't go and change it on each site.

On 9/23/2022 9:04 AM, soner wrote:
hello, you do not need to pay for password managers. You can use
KeepAssXC which is free, open source and accccessible with which you
could hide your passwords in its encrypted database and save it in
your USB drive or on cloud.

On 9/23/22, Alan Lemly <walemly@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,

You like the same things about KeePass on the computer that I do.
I'll add that I got the KeePass for Windows free and KeePass Touch for 99 cents.
This
was a very hard price to beat. And I much prefer to manage all my
KeePass passwords on my computer with a full-sized keyboard and use
the iOS app for pasting passwords when needed.

Alan Lemly