From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 11:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Excel 2016

John,

I’ve not used this feature in the past, but I’m really curious now and exploring it with you. So, here are my observations from playing around.

It seems that the driving factor of whether this works is if you have the setting to allow editing in cells turned on or off.  Recall that that is under Options in the Advance category.  That needs to be turned on.

From my testing, Brian is right that  the alt down arrow is a toggle for the setting to have formula autocomplete on., but I was misunderstanding how it worked.  I wonder if this is the issue you are having, too.  Whether I have the checkbox on the Options  menu for formula autocomplete turned on or if it’s off an i use the alt down arrow, I only get results if I type a letter after the equals sign. So, even if the formula autocomplete is turned on and I only type an equals sign in the cell, nothing happens and the  cell until I type a single letter, at which point it suggests functions with that letter. If you hear JAWS say a suggestion, you can arrow down through the options, If you don’t hear JAWS read out an option, you’ll need to do the alt down arrow, just like you would with a combo box. Then you can arrow through the list of suggestions and hit enter on the one you want.

Disappointedly, I don’t think there is a way to read the  tag that shows the syntax for the formula.  I’d like to figure out of there are options for that.

An alternative, especially for common functions or ones you don’t know is to type the equals sign, then hit Alt F3. This puts you in the formula bar and, if you hit alt down arrow, you get a list of common functions.   Hitting enter one of these opens a dialog box for arguments.  Further in the list is a More button you can use to search for functions alphabetically or with keywords.

The other trick I learned recently was to type the equals sign then a couple letters of the function you want then hit tab, which autocomplete the function and enters the opening parenthesis.  I suppose that works only if you are doing a function like vlookup or xlookup that is more unique that, say, a count function that could end multiple ways.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2022, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114